Sunday, June 6, 2010

mexican fiesta

Last night we hosted our dinner club for Mexican night! In case I haven't mentioned it before, I really love Mexican food, so I was excited for this dinner! Everything was great, and I stuffed myself with delicious, Mexican goodness (the baby was hungry!).

We started with chips and homemade salsa and guacamole. Two of my most favorite things! I made a super simple salsa, a recipe that I've been using for a while that I really like.

For our dinner we had a black bean and citrus salad, a tortilla casserole, and shrimp tacos. I marinated the shrimp with chipotle powder, lime juice, and some olive oil, and then we tossed them on the grill. I was really hoping they'd turn out a little spicier, but they were good all the same. We served the shrimp with grilled corn tortillas, an easy cilantro and cabbage slaw, more salsa, jalapenos, and red rice. We sipped on lemon-limeade, and for those of us not preggo, we had tequila or vodka to mix in. All of the flavors went really well together.



For dessert we had delicious Mexican wedding cookies, and Mexican sundaes. The sundaes consisted of vanilla ice cream and Queen City Cayenne ice cream, topped with a chocolate cinnamon sauce, fresh whipped cream, and toasted coconut! YUM.

For me, I could have a Mexican night once a week and be quite happy. In fact, that sounds like a great idea!


Super Simple Salsa


1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and cut into large pieces
1 large handful of fresh cilantro
juice from half a lime
a few pinches of kosher salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until combined. Taste, and add more salt if needed. For hotter salsa add some of the jalapeno seeds before pulsing in the food pro.

3 comments:

  1. What a festive Mexican feast! Those sundaes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum...I'm dreaming of those sundaes still...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of a Mexican-themed party! Everything looks terrific. I've heard terrific things about the Queen City ice cream and I bet that cayenne flavor was amazing.

    Glad to hear you tried the cornstarch-based ice cream. It was a fun recipe. We didn't have any problems gobbling ours up either ;-)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS