Monday, March 29, 2010

triple berry scones

I made these scones out of necessity. Not that I needed scones, but that I needed to use up a few ingredients that were sitting in my fridge. I had bought some cream a few days before for another recipe, and of course I only needed a few tablespoons...so scones seemed like the perfect way to use up that extra cream! And I had a frozen bag of berries in the freezer just begging to be used. So there you have it- berry scones!

I adapted this recipe from one I posted a while back for lemon cranberry scones. These are different in a few ways. 1) I didn't use a food processor, just a good old fashioned dough blender, or of course you could always just use 2 knives, or make due with whatever you've got handy. 2) I used raw cane sugar instead of white, and 3) I didn't flatten the dough and then cut out circles, I just used a large ice cream scoop to scoop the dough right onto the baking sheet.

I thought they turned out great, and so did my husband! It's such an easy recipe and very adaptable, we'll definitely make these again!



Triple Berry Scones

1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest (from about 1 orange; preferably a blood orange)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus one tablespoon for the berries
1/3 cup raw cane sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
10 oz fresh or frozen berries (I used a mix of blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Accompaniment: creme fraiche or whipped cream

Preheat oven to 400°F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

With a micro plane or zester, remove the zest from orange, reserving orange for another use.

In a large bowl cut flour, cup sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and zest until mixture resembles coarse meal and transfer to a large bowl.

In a small bowl toss together berries and 1 tablespoon flour. Stir berries coated in flour into into flour and sugar mixture.

In another small bowl lightly beat egg and yolk and stir in cream. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Using a large cookie scoop, scoop 1/2 cup mounds of dough onto baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake in middle of oven 20 minutes, or until pale golden.

Scones are always best when they’re freshly baked. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness - what an amazing burst of berries in these scones! Just lovely and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS