Tuesday, March 9, 2010

meatballs with panko

There is this lunch item at one of our local pizza places, Luigi's, called a meatball splash. To me, this name is kinda gross sounding, but I can get past the name. You see, the splash is actually a toasted piece of italian bread smothered in melted cheese, topped with a meatball, and "splashed" with tomato sauce. Ok, yeah, I can deal with that!

It just so happened that I recently made a big batch of my homemade meatballs, and I have to say, they were are damn good! Instead of my usual breadcrumbs I made them with panko breadcrumbs, and I don't think I'll ever go back. They are full of flavor like the normal recipe, but lighter in texture. Anyway, I used these meatballs and made this delicious concoction, and we really enjoyed it! It was a simple and satisfying meal, and perfect for someone who is extra hungry right now (that's what being pregnant will do to you, I guess) !



Basic (delicious) Meatballs

1 lb ground sirloin or ground chuck
1 1/2 cups panko
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
course salt and ground pepper
olive oil
4 cups homemade or store bought tomato sauce

In a large bowl combine beef, panko, egg, garlic, cheese, parsley, and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Mix until combined (do not overmix). Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup for each, form 12 meatballs.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, cook, turning occasionally until outsides are browned. Approximately 10 minutes.

Add sauce, bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until meatballs are thoroughly cooked, 10-12 minutes. Serve meatballs with sauce, over pasta, or in a meatball splash*!

* To make the splash, just toast italian bread covered in mozzarella or provolone cheese in the oven until the cheese is melted. Top with a meatball (or 2, or 3), and homemade or jarred tomato sauce. yum!

4 comments:

  1. I love panko! Your meatballs look like they turned out perfectly:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to use panko in meatballs or meatloaf, but I think I don't have a choice after reading this blog post! It looks amazingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the twist in this meatball recipe! Definitely worth trying!
    dining table

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I made these my husband loved them. They are now what we make when it's meatball subs time! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS