Just in time for Halloween! Enjoy!
Sweet and Spicy Caramel Corn
2 tbs vegetable oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1 cup salted peanuts
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1) Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with baking mats or parchment, set aside.
2) In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add 3 kernels of popcorn and cover until they pop. Add remaining popcorn kernels, cover, and shake pot continuously over burner until popcorn is completely popped, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer popcorn to a large bowl, along with peanuts and set aside.
3) Combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until all sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, without stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes, swirling pot occasionally.
4) Remove mixture from heat and stir in salt and cayenne with a heat-proof spatula. Immediately pour over popcorn mixture and stir to incorporate. Divide popcorn mixture evenly between 2 baking sheets. transfer to oven and bake, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Let popcorn cool on sheet pans before breaking into clusters. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
recipe from Martha Stewart