Sunday, July 12, 2009

granola bars


Granola bars are another food that I've struggled with. Like my very first post about granola, I have similarly attempted granola bars several times unsuccessfully. Once they came out rock hard. Another time they simply crumbled. So after many trials and recipe testing, I've finally found a base recipe to work from!


As long as you use the "glue" base and 3 cups of quick oats as stated in the recipe, I think you can swap out just about any of the other ingredients. I used peanuts, coconut, and chocolate chips because that's what we had in the house. Next time I might try sliced almonds and sunflower seeds, but an combo will do! We didn't have any dried fruit when I made these, so I skipped that. For best results, try to stick to the measurements even if you use alternative ingredients.


The result was a wonderful pan of granola bars that my husband and I snacked on all week (and we still have plenty more!). After the pan of granola was completely cooled, I cut them into bars and wrapped them individually. I stored them in a plastic container in the refrigerator. It worked out so well!


Just as with the regular granola, it was worth all of the bad batches. I now have a go-to granola bar recipe that I'm sure I'll use again and again.

Granola Bars

1/2 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. butter
2 tsp. vanilla

Over low heat, combine the ingredients above until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Stir in:

3 c. quick oats
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. sunflower seeds (or any other nut- we used peanuts)
1/2 c. raisins or dried cranberries (or any dried fruit you have on hand)
1/3 c. wheat germ
1 c. chocolate or butterscotch chips (optional) (make sure the "glue" mixture is cool before adding these chips, or else they will melt...which wouldn't be all that bad I guess)

Press mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely. Cut into 24 bars.

4 comments:

  1. These sound delicious...were they chewy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. they were pretty chewy, but they stayed together which has been a problem in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came over from the foodie blogroll and I love your blog. So many great recipes. The granola bars look great, especially with peanut butter : ) It can be hard to get the right mix with those. I tried a Nigella Lawson recipe and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate chips and peanut butter? Sarah told me it was against the law to use anything but raisins and dried blueberries. I'm starting to think that was just a dirty trick...

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS