Tuesday, May 12, 2009

wheat berry salad

I was looking for healthy salads and snacks for my daily afternoon hunger attacks, and I came upon a wheat berry recipe. I'd been wanting to try making wheat berries for a while now, but I just never got around to it...the other day I saw a bag of organic wheat berries staring at me in the grocery store- so I bought them!


I have to say I am pleasantly surprised! I really like the chewy texture, and this salad recipe is sweet and spicy, and the flavors lend themselves well to the grains.



If you've never tried wheat berries you should! There are so many possibilities. And tomorrow afternoon I will enjoy this salad at work :)



Wheat berry Salad

1/2 cup uncooked wheat berries (hard winter wheat)

1 teaspoon salt
4-5 carrots, chopped
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/3 cup golden raisins (I used dried cranberries and chopped dried apricots and it was perfect!)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro


Place wheat berries and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 50 minutes or until the wheat berries are tender. Drain.

Chop carrots and microwave for one minute. In a large bowl, combine carrots and wheat berries; add lemon juice, cumin, paprika, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir in the dried fruit, parsley, cilantro, and oil. Toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate, or serve at room temperature.


Recipe adapted from myrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS