Tuesday, February 16, 2010

vegetable fried rice


I got this recipe from Gweneth Paltrow's site called GOOP. She really has some great recipes, and I'm hoping to try more soon.

This rice is great because you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. My only deviation was that I didn't cook the eggs separately as it states in the recipe. Instead I just made a well in the rice, poured the eggs directly in the pan and scrambled for a few minutes, and then mixed them in with the rice as it finished cooking. I used asparagus and green peas with great results! Of course I had to add a little Sriracha for heat!



Vegetarian Fried Rice

you'll need:
4-6 asparagus spears (we used about double)
1 cup frozen or fresh peas
2 cups boiled or steamed rice (we used short grain brown rice)
2 egg whites, beaten (we used the entire egg)
2 spring onions, chopped (optional)
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt

Break off tough stems of asparagus and cut into 1 inch pieces, rinse. Stir fry asparagus, peas, and any other veggies you're using in 1 tbsp oil for 1-2 minutes, then remove from wok or pan and set aside. Add more oil if necessary, add egg to form a thin pancake (we skipped this step and just added egg while frying the rice). As soon as the egg is cooked, remove from pan and chop.


Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil to wok or pan, then stir fry the white part of the onion (if using), add the cooked rice and stir over a low heat until rice is uniformly heated throughout. Add the veggies back in, the egg, and salt, stir until the entire mixture is piping hot.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Gwenyth had a site. I'll have to go check it out. The rice looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that site! That looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made fried rice recently, and I didn't cook the eggs separately either. I just cracked the eggs right over the rice and stirred it for a minute, and it came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have checked out Goop from time to time...this recipe looks good and is a healthy alternative to the take out rice!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS