Sunday, March 15, 2009

quick enchiladas

This is one of my easy, go-to recipes, when I want something tasty that is simple to make. There are so many possible variations*, I don't think I've made these exactly the same way twice.
Most recently, I made these with black bean filling. I used a store bought jar of tomato salsa, and shredded "mexican blend" cheese.
First, I simmered 1 cup of dried black beans with 4 cups of water, plus a teaspoon of each of the following- cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder, along with a pinch of salt and pepper in a slow cooker on low for 8 hours (I did this during the day while I was at work, so all I had to do when I came home was assemble and bake).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Begin by spreading about 1/2 cup of the prepared salsa on the bottom of a 10" x 10" baking dish. Assemble the enchiladas one at a time. On a flour tortilla, spread about 1/4 cup cooked black beans, along with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.

Roll tortilla around fillings and place the roll into the prepared baking dish. Continue until you have filled the dish (using a 10 x 10 baking dish I had room for 6 rolls). Cover the enchiladas with the remaining salsa, and the remaining shredded cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until warm and bubbly. Take out of the oven and top with chopped cilantro (optional of course). Enjoy!

* we've also made these with roasted veggies, shredded cooked chicken, and shredded cooked pork, and have used salsa verde instead of the tomato salsa- delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS